Applications are now closed.
Applications close: Tuesday 22 October 2019 at midnight AEDT.
Location: Nashville, USA
Art form: Music (Songwriters)
Length of residency: 3 months
Dates: June – November 2020 (final dates to be negotiated with Mark Moffatt, mentor)
Grant amount: $15,000
Website: Mark Moffatt
Information Pack: learn more about the studio, accommodation, local area, and travel arrangements by downloading the information pack.
Guidelines: read the guidelines for information on assessment criteria, the selection process, support material, and how to submit an application.
Technical and administrative support will not be available after 5pm on the closing date.
About Nashville Songwriters’ Residency
The Nashville Songwriters’ Residency was established to allow Australian songwriters to immerse themselves in the Nashville music scene for a concentrated period of time. Nashville-based Mark Moffatt, one of Australia’s most successful producers, mentors the successful songwriter during their residency. Mark has previously been Director of Artist Development/House Producer at Festival Records, and Director of A&R at Ten Ten Records. His work has achieved chart success in Australia, the UK and Europe, and has been nominated for a Grammy in the USA. Mark’s production credits include: Keith Urban, The Saints, Yothu Yindi, the Divinyls, Neil and Tim Finn, Ross Wilson, Slim Dusty, Tony Joe White, Stacey Earle, O’Shea, Jasmine Rae, Deana Carter, Leslie Mills, Gloriana, Adam Gregory and Jason Aldean remixes.
Mentor Mark Moffatt facilitates the residency program, tailored to the needs of the successful resident. The residency enables songwriters to:
- develop their writing skills;
- build creative and business networks;
- connect with other artists to co-write and collaborate.
The residency aims to introduce the resident to the creative and business community in Nashville, and where possible, to create opportunities for the recipient to engage in songwriting, recording, showcasing, publicity and industry networking.
Nashville hosts the highest concentration of music businesses of any American city. Although historically the home of country music, it is now a key music writing, recording and touring hub for many styles of music, including R&B, blues, folk, hip hop, indie rock, roots, alt country, punk, metal and pop.
Accommodation and workspace
Residents are required to arrange their own accommodation in Nashville.
- Katrina Burgoyne
- Sinead Burgess
- Josh Rennie-Hynes
- Larissa Tandy
- Rebecca Chilcott (Ruby Boots)
- Guidelines: advice to help with your application for a residency.
- Frequently asked questions: answers to common questions about residencies and grants.
- Tips and Links: resources to help strengthen your application and maximise your residency experience.
- Information pack: Download PDF.
- Information pack: Download RTF.
- Acme London Residency
- Mordant Family/Australia Council Affiliated Fellowship at the American Academy in Rome
- BR Whiting Studio, Rome
- Cité internationale des arts residency
- Debra Porch Award
- ISCP, New York
- Keesing Studio residency at the Cité internationale des arts
- Künstlerhaus Bethanien
- Kyoto Art Center Residency Exchange
- Nashville Songwriters’ Residency