Published in 2014, this profile of the Australian contemporary visual arts sector was based on over 100 in-depth interviews. It provided an overview of current issues, opportunities and challenges in the sector, and mapped key developments over the previous decade.
The Australia Council for the Arts commissioned Phip Murray to undertake this research independently.
The findings form five chapters:
- Chapter 1 gives an overview of the different spheres of activity that comprise Australian contemporary visual art
- Chapter 2 examines contemporary art infrastructure
- Chapter 3 focuses on artists
- Chapter 4 reviews Australian contemporary art within the international context
- Chapter 5 explores audiences and their engagement with contemporary visual arts.